Learn more about the requirements, curriculum, and resources for the Department of Chemistry's undergraduate majors and minors. Students will have the opportunity to participate in cutting edge research, combined with rigorous coursework.
BS in Chemistry BS in Biochemistry BS in Chemical Physics Fifth Year Master’s Degree Program: BS/MS in Chemistry Minors in Chemistry
Our department offers two flavors of first-semester General Chemistry: Chem 1 (General Chemistry) and Chem 11 (Expanded General Chemistry). Both classes provide excellent preparation for upper-level coursework. To help determine which class is best for each student, we have designed a self-assessment and an FAQ.
Learn more about Introductory Chemistry
The Undergraduate Senior Thesis is a two-semester program culminating in a written research thesis, public thesis defense seminar, and private oral examination.
Learn more about Senior Thesis
Through your major advisor, you can participate in a wide variety of research opportunities in the department. Email a faculty member whose research suits your interests to ask whether they are willing to be your advisor. Once you have their agreement, complete the Advisor Change Form.
- Ravichandra Bachu
- Clay S. Bennett - Bioorganic, Chemical Biology, and Organic Synthesis
- Timothy Brunker
- Ira Caspari - Chemistry & STEM Education
- Kevin Clark - Analytical Chemistry and Neurochemistry
- Luke M. Davis - Inorganic and Materials Chemistry
- Eric High - Physical and Analytical Chemistry
- Samuel P. Kounaves - Analytical, Planetary Science, and Geochemistry
- Joshua A. Kritzer - Bioorganic, Biophysical, and Chemical Biology (not accepting new advisees)
- Sergiy Kryatov
- Krishna Kumar - Bioorganic and Chemical Biology (not accepting new advisees)
- Yu-Shan Lin - Theoretical and Biophysical Chemistry
- Charles Mace - Bioanalytical and Materials Chemistry
- Diren Pamuk-Turner - (not accepting new advisees)
- Rebecca A. Scheck - Bioorganic Chemistry and Chemical Biology
- Mary Jane Shultz - Physical, Environmental, Excited State, and Surface
- E. Charles Sykes - Physical & Surface Chemistry
- Samuel W. Thomas III - Organic, Surface Chemistry, and Materials Science
- Arthur L. Utz - Physical and Materials Chemistry
- Yu Zhang - Inorganic and Organometallic Chemistry